God Bless Our Troops

Thursday, June 26, 2008

On the lowcarb front
No workout today. I was angry and upset about something this morning - doesn't matter what and it isn't an excuse for skipping the workout, but there it is. I did not, however, let that run over and affect my menu for the day.

I am down 3.6 lbs. from last Thursday. I think I may be getting the hang of this lowcarb thing.

I had no internet this morning so I didn't get some of my work done, including my blog. That totally throws off my day. Ever read the book "Who Moved My Cheese?" I laughed when I first read it. Not anymore. I don't cotton well to having my cheese moved.

Word of the day:
Matthew 7:21-27
'Not everyone who says to me, "Lord, Lord", will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only one who does the will of my Father in heaven. On that day many will say to me, "Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many deeds of power in your name?" Then I will declare to them, "I never knew you; go away from me, you evildoers."

'Everyone then who hears these words of mine and acts on them will be like a wise man who built his house on rock. The rain fell, the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house, but it did not fall, because it had been founded on rock. And everyone who hears these words of mine and does not act on them will be like a foolish man who built his house on sand. The rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell-and great was its fall!'

Reflections from the cornfield:
"Talk is cheap." "Actions speak louder than words." Axioms become axioms because on some level there is a universal truth being spoken. We were not put on this earth to merely prophesy in Jesus' name. Jesus spelled out very clearly what our mission on earth is;

Feed the hungry
Give drink to the thirsty
Clothe the naked
Shelter the homeless
Visit the sick
Visit those in prison
Bury the dead


All the words in the world will not accomplish these acts. It takes getting our hands dirty. Now I have heard some people (some people being preachers) say that taking care of our kids would fulfill the hungry, naked, homeless, and thirsty part. They were serious. I don't really think that's what Jesus meant. I think he meant for us to step out of our comfort zones and care for people who may make us cringe when we are around them, who aren't like us in any way except that they are fellow children of God.

And shouldn't it go beyond filling the need? In some cases compassion requires teaching others how to fill some of their own needs so that they in turn can teach someone else.
But what do I know?
I'm just minding my own business here in the cornfield. :)

God bless the troops!

No comments: