God Bless Our Troops

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Here are my stats for this morning:
Time: 30 minutes
Route: Treadmill
Average heart rate: 113
Maximum heat rate: 140
Calories burned: 208

On the home/business front:
Only six more days until the Country Sampler ad comes out. I waver between nervousness that the ad will flop, and excitement at the possibility that we will be swamped with orders. I am hoping that the reality will be somewhere in between.

Update: I just got a call from Sue Koller at Country Sampler. I goofed - the ad comes out on October 1. That's good news because it gives us a little more time to get ready. Thank you to the reader who was responsible for me getting the "heads up."

In the "7 Habits" book I am still reading about the first habit, that of being proactive rather than reactive. I can see where I tend to be reactive and it doesn't work very well for me. The chapter could be summed up with the Serenity Prayer - in that it is wasted energy to to wallow in worry about things over which we have no control. This chapter in the "Habits" book really opened my eyes to what that means. I have a habit of letting worry disable me - almost as if my not worrying will bring about disaster to the person I am worrying about. It kind of speaks to what Nina once said to me about worry and prayer - I could do either, but which would do more good? Worry is definitely reactive while prayer is proactive. Ah, a paradigm shift. Or a God moment.


Word of the day:

Matthew 23:23-26
Jesus said, "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you tithe mint, dill, and cummin, and have neglected the weightier matters of the law: justice and mercy and faith. It is these you ought to have practiced without neglecting the others. You blind guides! You strain out a gnat but swallow a camel! Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you clean the outside of the cup and of the plate, but inside they are full of greed and self-indulgence."

Thoughts from the cornfield:
Ah, once again those pesky Pharisees are caught in the act of being themselves. Appearances, always appearances. Takes a lot of energy to keep up appearances. One can only wonder what these people could have accomplished if they had expended their energies working from the inside out. Jesus must really have loved those Pharisees to give them so many warnings. Seems like every "woe" Jesus called them on was tied to hypocrisy. We would do well to learn from their mistakes, no?



God bless the troops!

No comments: