God Bless Our Troops

Monday, January 19, 2009

Today is the first official day of both Harold and I being solely a farm family. We are adjusting our routines. I think it will be easier now because with 2 of us being here during the day, there is more structure than when I am home alone. Harold got up and did his stint on the treadmill and then wanted the computer. So I will now do my workout during his computer time and then blog after my workout. This is better because then I have less time to talk myself out of a workout.
***********************************************
Today I get to meet with the prayer quilt ladies. This is a ministry that one of our ladies brought with her from her former church. I've always wanted to be a part of this but couldn't because of work. So today I get to go. I am looking forward to it. Some time today I will need to get a batch of candles made. Clay and Claire are coming to spend the night. That's always fun. This will be the first time they've ever been able to come on a week night.
*************************************************
Here is the Flylady Flight Plan for today from Kelly:


Missions for Zone 4 - The Master Bedroom and the Great Closet Clean Out
Zone 4: Mission #1 Monday

Dear Friends:

This week we are in the Master Bedroom. Today I want you to spend 15 minutes under your bed! LOL! Take this time to get the things out from under the bed that you have shoved under there during a mad stash and dash through the house.15 minutes might not be enough, but for today, just try to put a dent in the stuff that you have put there. Things that just don't belong. If you don't have anything under your bed, then grab a vacuum cleaner or broom and get the dust
bunnies that have been multiplying under there. Have fun with this, just 15 minutes, set you time and go go go!
Great Closet Clean Out Mission:
We are going to throw open the doors of our closets and go after the stuff that has been accumulating! With BabySteps, 27 Fling Boogies and 15 minutes we are going to clear out the clutter!

Today we are going after the clothes that have piled up in the floor of the closet. Anything that has fallen off the hangers or has been stashed. Set your timer for 15 minutes. If you have tossed a laundry basket full of clean clothes in the bottom of the closet, work on putting it away. Do not hang up anything that you do not love or wear. If you have things that are too big, too small, worn out or just plain ugly - toss it! Don't laugh, I have gone into my closet
before and found things that were just ugly and wondered what in the heck was I thinking when I actually spent money on this!! Toss it! Do not waste precious time or energy hanging up or putting away things that you do not wear, do not love or things that don't fit. Place then in a bag to give away or throw them out if they are not worthy of
blessing someone else with! Set that timer for 15 minutes. Remember how FlyLady decluttered her guest room 15 minutes at a time! You may go back for another 15 minutes if you want or need to. Do not pull out more than you can do at one 15 minute segment!

Get to it Flybabies!!! I'm off to my master bedroom.
*****************************************************
5:15 pm update:
I totally enjoyed the Prayer Quilt meeting. I brought home some fabric to piece a quilt for an old friend. I also bought the pieces for Claire's quilt. I can't wait to start on that.

I am so tickled to be able to quilt in the winter. I am finishing off some quilts I started last summer. Here is one whose binding I am tacking down. I also still need to finish hand quilting it. It is from Eleanor Burns' "Christmas at Bear's Paw Ranch." I loooooooooove Eleanor Burns.



************************************************************************************

Word of the day:
Monday of the Second Week in Ordinary Time
Gospel
Mk 2:18-22


The disciples of John and of the Pharisees were accustomed to fast.
People came to Jesus and objected,
“Why do the disciples of John and the disciples of the Pharisees fast,
but your disciples do not fast?”
Jesus answered them,
“Can the wedding guests fast while the bridegroom is with them?
As long as they have the bridegroom with them they cannot fast.
But the days will come when the bridegroom is taken away from them,
and then they will fast on that day.
No one sews a piece of unshrunken cloth on an old cloak.
If he does, its fullness pulls away,
the new from the old, and the tear gets worse.
Likewise, no one pours new wine into old wineskins.
Otherwise, the wine will burst the skins,
and both the wine and the skins are ruined.
Rather, new wine is poured into fresh wineskins.”

Thoughts from the cornfield:
Anyone who has ever worked with fabrics will understand the analogy that Jesus is making here. Today I brought home some fabric to piece a quilt. I will pre-wash (and therefore pre-shrink) all of it because I don't know the fiber content or whether it has been washed before. This is necessary because if a piece of unwashed fabric is sewn to one that has been laundered, the unwashed piece - if it is cotton - will shrink and the other piece will not. Makes for a mighty unsightly quilt. And in the case of wineskins, an unfortunate waste of wine.


God bless our troops!

**********************************************

No comments: