God Bless Our Troops

Sunday, December 4, 2010

Last night our Deacon, John Cremin, gave another of his very thoughtful homilies. About how we should remember what this season is all about. How while we are busy Christmas shopping and going about the hustle and bustle of the season, we should remember that there are others in the world for whom this season has lost its hope. It brought to mind a quote that Deacon John Wilberding used frequently in his homilies: "I shall not pass this way again, I expect to pass through this world but once;any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow-creature,let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it,for I shall not pass this way again"

Deacons are very wise people. :)

I am having some challenges lately in relating to certain people. I guess I just do not get the whole "self-absorbed, it's all about me" mentality. I won't go into specifics, but it's just interesting to watch how people interact with one another. How some people can show one face in public and a totally different one in private.  I have seen this time and again in ministry, but then most of the people I interact with are in ministry so it may not be a higher proportion here than anywhere else, it just may be my perspective.  I just don't understand why cognitive dissonance doesn't kick in more often. I know that I am bordering on being judgmental so I will leave it at that. I am going to just do my job, live my life, and treat people the way I should (which I, also, don't always do).

I have one more stocking to make and then I am finished for the season. I took an order for 4 more after the deadline. Now I have 2 more to make for our newest little addition to the family, Miss Meghan Mae Moeggenborg!

The stockings will be bigger that she is.  I have one to make for us to keep here, and I will make one for her other grandparents, Jan and Gary.  All of a sudden, her big sister Madison, is talking up a storm.  She was here yesterday and she chattered all afternoon.  Mom and baby came home yesterday and we visited last night. 

Our craft shows are done for the year and we did very well, thanks be to God.  We were able to contribute tithe money to a number of worthy causes. This year we tended to concentrate on the military because the sacrifices they and their families make can never be appreciated too much.  We have several family members in the military, and a couple of friends so next week I will be putting together Christmas boxes for them. 

Word of the day:
Saturday of the First week of Advent
Today the Church celebrates : St. John Damascus, Syrian monk and priest (c. 675-749), St. Barbara, Virgin and Martyr (3rd century)
Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Matthew 9:35-38.10:1.5-8.

Jesus went around to all the towns and villages, teaching in their synagogues, proclaiming the gospel of the kingdom, and curing every disease and illness. At the sight of the crowds, his heart was moved with pity for them because they were troubled and abandoned, like sheep without a shepherd. Then he said to his disciples, "The harvest is abundant but the laborers are few; so ask the master of the harvest to send out laborers for his harvest." Then he summoned his twelve disciples and gave them authority over unclean spirits to drive them out and to cure every disease and every illness. Jesus sent out these twelve after instructing them thus, "Do not go into pagan territory or enter a Samaritan town. Go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel. As you go, make this proclamation: 'The kingdom of heaven is at hand.' Cure the sick, raise the dead, cleanse lepers, drive out demons. Without cost you have received; without cost you are to give.

2 comments:

the Phoenix said...

I'm not undercutting the wisdom imparted by your Deacons - but he has borrowed the quote from William Penn. Still, wisdom is wisdom, and God is the source of all of it.

Stay warm, dry and healthy as I know you're very busy in these days before Christmas!

-Deacon Bob, Chicago

Sugar Bush Primitives said...

Thanks, Deacon Bob. You stay healthy, dry, and warm too! Actually, I think the quote is attributed to someone named Grellet. At any rate, they are definitely words to live by.