God Bless Our Troops

Friday, April 1, 2011

No April Fool's jokes here today. Been a long day. I started out with the 2 older grandkids this morning and then after they went home, the two younger ones came. Madison is starting to try and put words together and she is soooo cute. Meghan wasn't a happy camper today so we rocked most of the afternoon.

After the kids went home I decided to make soap.  I tried something different.  I did 2 layers of 2 different fragrances.  Between the two fragrances I layered in some shredded soap from a batch that the fragrance oil flashed out on.  I plan to brush mica on top.  I started to do it on the end and then realized I had better wait until it cools.  I'm a little nervous because I can feel the soap heating up and I am hoping that it doesn't crack.  The two fragrance oils I used both have some vanilla content, but I am hoping that one layer will be lighter than the other.  I'm not sure how much vanilla is in either one because the supplier doesn't list it.  I am going by the amount that other FO suppliers list.  I'm a little nervous because I can see some moisture on the edges and in the grooves of the top.


I don't know if it's condensation from the soap heating up or the fragrance oil pooling.  I can deal with either one as long as it doesn't crack.

I used 60 ounces of oils and divided the batch.  But when I poured out 30 ounces, the two batches did not look at all even.  Thankfully, I remembered that I had added in 22 ounces of lye water.  I was panicked there for a minute because I was thinking I had more oils than I did and a lye adjustment would need to be made.  So now we wait and see how it turns out.

The two fragrance oils I used were sample sizes that I ordered a while back and never used.  I am trying to use up a lot of odds and ends.  I have an entire bucket of shredded soap thanks to my salad shooter.  Some of it will be molded into soap balls.  Some of it will be re-batched in the crock-pot if I can ever get the hang of it.  I also use the soap shreds in my home-made laundry soap so there isn't a lot of waste.

Yesterday we took Clayton and Claire to the dinosaur exhibit at the Dow museum.  They were very well behaved and we all had a good time.  Claire loved playing the xylophone!


and they both loved digging for dinosaur bones.





Word of the day:
Friday of the Third week of Lent
Saint(s) of the day : St. Hugh, Bishop (1053-1132)
Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Mark 12:28-34. 

One of the scribes came to Jesus and asked him, «Which is the first of all the commandments?»
Jesus replied, "The first is this: 'Hear, O Israel! The Lord our God is Lord alone!
You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.'
The second is this: 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no other commandment greater than these."
The scribe said to him, "Well said, teacher. You are right in saying, 'He is One and there is no other than he.'
And 'to love him with all your heart, with all your understanding, with all your strength, and to love your neighbor as yourself' is worth more than all burnt offerings and sacrifices."
And when Jesus saw that (he) answered with understanding, he said to him, "You are not far from the kingdom of God." And no one dared to ask him any more questions.


 

No comments: