God Bless Our Troops

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Another episode in the continuing saga, Soap Diaries.  I was not a happy camper when I cut my soap this morning.  I jumped out of bed, excited to see how my fantastic idea turned out.  Everything looked promising as I hoisted the loaf from the mold.  As I peeled down the paper I noticed that it looked very greasy.  Undaunted, I cut the first slice.  Crumbles.  What?  I quickly did a "zap" test which told me that it was not lye.  (A zap test consists of touching ones tongue to the offending leakage to determine if it is lye or oil.  Do not try this at home.)  I did not get zapped.  And, by the way, fragrance oil is not good for breakfast.  I finally determined that the crumbles were from the layer of soap shreds that I had sprinkled between the layers.  It did not have the desired aesthetic result that I was trying to achieve.  As I cut each slice, it oozed fragrance oil.  You can see it in the picture below. The bottom is darkening.  As it cures, its exposure to the air will continue the darkening process.  The top surprised me in that it hasn't darkened at all. 

I am not yet ready to call this a failed batch.  We'll do an assessment in a week or so.  I think the soap shreds, because they were at a different stage of saponification, did not incorporate well as a layer.  It's possible that the two layers will come apart.  Again, we shall see. 

I am now headed for the shower with a slice of Monkey Bar soap which turned out very nice indeed. :)






Word of the day:
Saturday of the Third week of Lent
Saint(s) of the day : St. Francis of Paula, Hermit (1416-1508)
Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Luke 18:9-14.

Jesus addressed this parable to those who were convinced of their own righteousness and despised everyone else.
Two people went up to the temple area to pray; one was a Pharisee and the other was a tax collector.
The Pharisee took up his position and spoke this prayer to himself, 'O God, I thank you that I am not like the rest of humanity--greedy, dishonest, adulterous--or even like this tax collector.
I fast twice a week, and I pay tithes on my whole income.'
But the tax collector stood off at a distance and would not even raise his eyes to heaven but beat his breast and prayed, 'O God, be merciful to me a sinner.'
I tell you, the latter went home justified, not the former; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and the one who humbles himself will be exalted."


No comments: