God Bless Our Troops

Thursday, July 21, 2011

It has been really, really hot here this last week. The kind of hot that makes one consider Central Air.  That would never be an option here, especially since it only gets like this for about a week.  I don't remember it being this hot, though, since the kids were little.  We would close the drapes and not do anything all day.

This morning I went down and started on the east end of the basement.  It is such a pit down there and since I am the one that spends the most time down there, I am going to get it cleaned up.  I pulled things out from the wall and got the mop and bucket.  Our basement is always damp and I wish we could spend the money to get it professionally sealed, but I doubt that's going to happen.  So, my only option is to make it as nice down there as I can.  When it's not wet, it's not too bad.  It will never be a pretty space, but I can shoot for decent.

I made a batch of a soap we will be naming after my late mother-in-law.  Harold says that she used lye soap for laundry when they were growing up.  Today I made a batch with lard and lye and some fragrance oil.  I have requests out to the family for pics of  her when the kids were small.  So far no one has responded. It's not a fancy bar - no color or anything so I did a CPOP on it.  I grate up soap scraps to use for laundry and if this doesn't sell, I will use it.  I love homemade soap for laundry.



Word of the day:
Thursday of the Sixteenth week in Ordinary Time
Saint(s) of the day : St. Lawrence of Brindisi, Priest and Doctor of the Church (1559-1619)
Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Matthew 13:10-17.


The disciples approached him and said, "Why do you speak to them in parables?"
He said to them in reply, "Because knowledge of the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven has been granted to you, but to them it has not been granted.
To anyone who has, more will be given and he will grow rich; from anyone who has not, even what he has will be taken away.
This is why I speak to them in parables, because 'they look but do not see and hear but do not listen or understand.'
Isaiah's prophecy is fulfilled in them, which says: 'You shall indeed hear but not understand you shall indeed look but never see.
Gross is the heart of this people, they will hardly hear with their ears, they have closed their eyes, lest they see with their eyes and hear with their ears and understand with their heart and be converted, and I heal them.'
But blessed are your eyes, because they see, and your ears, because they hear.
Amen, I say to you, many prophets and righteous people longed to see what you see but did not see it, and to hear what you hear but did not hear it.

2 comments:

Deb said...

It's been miserably hot here too, so hot that I haven't bothered soaping and the soaps on my racks are all sweating and slimy. I think the heat wave peaked yesterday though because today wasn't nearly as bad and the next several days are progressively cooler. Yay!

We don't have central air either. I was begging for it this week but yeah, had to remind myself most of the time this big ol' breezy farmhouse gets us through just fine.

My basement is scary nasty and I don't go down if I don't have to, like unless there is a funnel cloud about to land on the house. LOL

~Deb

Amy@10th Ave. said...

I just wanted to let you know that I nominated you for the Versatile Blogger award! You can check out my blog for the details!