God Bless Our Troops

Thursday, July 28, 2011

First of all, I want to wish a very happy birthday to Kelli!!
It is humid and warm again. It was nice to have a couple of days' relief from the heat, though.

I made soap today. I've been wanting to do a series of family heritage type soaps. The one I did today is called. "I Remember Mama" It's scented with rose geranium. When I smell roses I always think of my mother. Her favorite flowers were actually gladioli, but she used to use gycerine and rosewater on her hands.

Here is a pic of them in the molds. I wanted the peach color to be more rose, but now I think I like this better. I found some rosebuds to put on top.



 Tonight is quilting night!!! Woo hoo!!

Update:  I finally got around to making a YouTube video.  It's been almost 2 months!  Where has the summer gone?



I also made two batches of laundry soap today.  Here is the recipe I use:
1 cup grated lard and lye soap  (guess you know what kind I use.)
1/2 cup baking soda
1/2 cup 20 Mule Team Borax
1/2 cup washing soda
1 old laundry detergent bucket with lid (should hold at least 2 1/2 gallons.)
I measure out 2 gallons of water ahead of time in milk jugs that I've saved.  I pour about a quart of water in a stock pot (which I reserve just for making soap) and add the shredded soap.  I heat that until the soap shreds are melted.  Then I add the other ingredients and stir till dissolved. I pour that into the old detergent bucket and stir.  I then add the rest of the water - stir and set aside to gel.   You can just scoop it out of the bucket if you want, but I like to pour mine into old clean milk jugs so I can just pour it into the washer.  I use 1/2 cup for most loads and 1 cup for greasy farm clothes.  In the picture is part of the first batch I made. You can see that the jug on the right has emulsified.  Wish I knew how I did that.  The other 2 will need to be shaken each time I use the soap.  The fourth jug went home with Howard so Colleen can try it.  This soap is low sudsing so it works in those new front load washers. For fabric softener I add 1/2 cup of white vinegar to the bleach dispenser in my washer.  You could also use one of those Downy dispensers.

 I don't always use the liquid soap.  Sometimes I just throw some soap shreds (about 1/4 cup loosely packed) in the washer and add a tablespoon each of baking soda, borax, and washing soda.  


Word of the day:
Thursday of the Seventeenth week in Ordinary Time
Saint(s) of the day : Sts. Nazarius and Celsus, Martyrs (1st century), St. Victor, Pope and Martyr († 198)
Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Matthew 13:47-53.


Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a net thrown into the sea, which collects fish of every kind.
When it is full they haul it ashore and sit down to put what is good into buckets. What is bad they throw away.
Thus it will be at the end of the age. The angels will go out and separate the wicked from the righteous
and throw them into the fiery furnace, where there will be wailing and grinding of teeth.
Do you understand all these things? They answered, "Yes."
And he replied, "Then every scribe who has been instructed in the kingdom of heaven is like the head of a household who brings from his storeroom both the new and the old."
When Jesus finished these parables, he went away from there.

No comments: