God Bless Our Troops

Wednesday, February 14, 2018


I got a late start on soap making this week.  My usual Monday night routine was disrupted by my birthday.  I never got around to it last night either.  So, today I made another one for the guys - Cabin in the Woods.   I love this scent. When I was a kid, the high point of every summer was our annual trip over the Mackinac Bridge to the upper peninsula of Michigan.  We always stayed in a cabin in the woods.  As a city kid, I fell in love with the woodsy smells combined with the fragrant pine of the cabin.  Goat milk soap made with this scent never fails to take me back to those carefree days.  Cabin in the Woods is an outdoorsy blend of cinnamon, bayberry, hints of cranberry and orange.  Both men and women love this scent.   This is how it looked just after I cut it.  I haven't made it in a while, but I suspect the color will change a bit when it is cured - March 14. 



Yesterday I wrapped the Apple Jack 'n Peel soap that I made a month ago.  It will head for the shop next week.  This is my absolute favorite scent for autumn, but I have a lot of customers that love it year round.



It's been a busy week.   We are getting ready for the Maple Syrup Festival, but next week Kelli and I are doing a show at the Masonic Home.  It's been a long time since we've done a show in a new venue.  It's exciting and a little daunting all at the same time.   

I worked on some mixes this week.  I may have mentioned that I am changing up the packaging a bit.  On Saturday Claire and I did pancake mix.  When our kids were young, I found a recipe in an old magazine for these pancakes.  Every Sunday after Mass we would come home and have a big pancake breakfast.  Somehow our neighbor on the next farm over always knew when the pancake griddle was on because he always joined us. He has been gone for many years, but every time I make pancakes, I think of Bernard.


These pancakes are the size of a dinner plate.  Now that we have grandkids, most of whom live nearby, this is their favorite breakfast when they spend the night.




We also packaged up the bean soup, and the Chai Tea mix.  The corn bread is running low so that is next on the list.


No comments: