God Bless Our Troops

Sat. June 7 - Atkins Induction - Day 6

On the lowcarb front:
After logging off last night I was hit by the hungries. I had an Advantage bar so the puts me at 23 carbs for yesterday. Today we have the graduation party and I have packed my emergency stash in my handy-dandy insulated lunch box. In it are 2 string cheeses (which I hope not to have to use since I had cheesecake for breakfast), an Advantage bar, a cup of sugar free jello, and a bottle of diet root beer. This will serve 2 purposes. The first, I have something handy in case the buffet is not induction friendly. The second: This party is an hour and a half away. There is a habit in our family of stopping at places for a bite. Since this is Sunday, there is a good chance that we will all meet up at an ice cream place. I definitely want to be prepared. I am taking a portable craft with me (I have a bunch of stockings to sew up) so I will have my hands busy. I think I'm ready.

The scale is co-operating very nicely so I will have a good report for tomorrow's weekly weigh-in.

Now I have to clean out the car so I will update tonight when we get home.

8:06 pm
We are home from the party. The good new is that I stuck to my guns. On the way home, sure as shootin' we stopped for ice cream. I had a bag of pork rinds handy so I didn't feel too deprived. Now for the bad news - or you could call it good news. It all depends on how you look at it. Hold on to your hats. I HAVE NOT BEEN DOING ATKINS INDUCTION AS WRITTEN. Well, I thought I was, but I haven't had time to really read the book closely. Today I had the opportunity to really read the induction part on the drive over to Grand Rapids. I had been using info off of the Atkins site, but I think Dr. Atkins himself is a better source (God rest his soul). But I am going to keep on going and see what happens. The reason for doing Induction exactly as Dr. Atkins wrote it is because it serves 2 purposes. One is to get you into ketosis quickly, but the other - and this is very important - is to see how metabolically resistant you may be. This is crucial in determining what your critical carbohydrate level might be in the future. So you could say I skewed the test. Tomorrow is another day. I will make a cup of peppermint tea and put it behind me. I still had a good week, anyway.

Okay, I just went back and re-read my post. It is not Sunday - it is Saturday. And . . . there is a reason my gelatin cups say to keep them refrigerated.

No comments: