God Bless Our Troops

Tues, June 17, 2008

On the Lowcarb front:
Did 24 minutes on the treadmill this morning while watching Biggest Loser.
I did my own version of intervals.

Here was my menu for the day:

Breakfast:
cafe latte
Dixie diner flax muffing
1 T. peanut butter

Lunch:
Romaine lettuce with ranch dressing and bacon bits.
Cheesey joe (ground beef and velveeta) on 2 revoloopsie rolls (hereafter to be known as oopsies)

Snack:
lowcarb raspberry cheesecake

Dinner:
oppsie roll topped with sugar free pudding cup (mmmmm, eclaires)

Need to work on:
Had a cup of no sugar added ice cream and 3 sugar free Reese's cup

Water:
working on my second 32 oz. bottle

Word of the day:
Matthew 5:43-48
Jesus said to the disciples, "You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbour and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be children of your Father in heaven; for he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the righteous and on the unrighteous. For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? And if you greet only your brothers and sisters, what more are you doing than others? Do not even the Gentiles do the same? Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect."

Once upon a time we had a pastor who was not very likeable. He was a perfectionist and he didn't tolerate imperfection in others. He was very organized and his ducks were always in a row. People like that make me very nervous - especially if they are the ones who sign my paycheck. The harder I tried to please this pastor, the more mistakes I seemed to make. I was very bothered by the fact that no matter how hard I tried, I just could not like this man. It bothered me so much that I eventually went to our deacon (a very dear friend and a wise, wise man.) He said to me, "you don't have to like him, you just have to love him." I thought and thought about that and finally said, "you mean I should be willing to die for him, but I don't have to hang out at McDonald's with him." Yep, that's pretty much it.

If you think about it, it really takes a lot more energy to hate someone than it does to just love him. Love means letting a lot of stuff go. It means we don't dwell on someone's imperfections, but celebrate the goodness in him.

In this scripture passage, the hang-up for me is the word perfect. Perfection is something that we can never attain. So how can we be perfect as God is perfect? The answer is we can't - not of our own will, anyway. There is only one way we can be perfect. The answer is in Paul's letter to the Romans 13:14 "Clothe Yourselves With the Lord Jesus Christ."

Gives new meaning to the saying "the clothes make the man," doesn't it?

will update later . . .

God bless the troops

No comments: