God Bless Our Troops

Monday, July 14, 2008

On the lowcarb front:
My stats for today:
Type: walk/jog - more walk than jog today
Route: Deadend/loop/back
Time: 35 minutes
Average heart rate: 123
Maximum heart rate: 1146
Calories burned: 2276
I’m down 2 lbs. from last Monday
I got out on the road a little after nine this morning. It's a mild day and the workout was great. My knees are a little sore so I took it easier this morning. The hay bales are gone from my route. The corn is a green wall in which the deer are hiding. I can hear them in there - I really can.

On the home front/business:
We didn't find a canopy/tent yesterday in Mt. Pleasant so the search continues. I have several stockings to mail out today and 5 more to make. I have an order of tarts to fill also. And - since today is Monday, I will be making soap. I have a lot of packaging to do. Anna was gone for a week and just finished some labels that I needed. She and Kelli are testing some jar candles for me.

The guys have the poles up for our new building. I have mixed feelings about this. It's exciting to be building, but I miss the old barn. You can't see it in the picture, but back when Harold
inherited the family farm, he had Anna make a sign with his name on it. (ooops, I just noticed that if you click on the picture, you can see Anna's sign.)It's a bit of a rite of passage for a farmer to put his name on his barn. The kids raised their fair pigs in that barn. Cousins told me they used play hide and seek in that barn. Back before we were married, the barn held dairy cows - then later, beef cattle. On windy days I remember listening to the big old barn door slap against building. I remember putting straw up in the mow on hot summer days.

The new building will go up, and the guys will have a place to keep their equipment, and probably a new "Harold Moeggenborg" sign will be put in place, but it won't be the same. Things never stay the same. It's the nature of life, I guess.




Old barn












new building





Word of the day:
Feast day Saint Camillus of Lellis

Matthew 10:34-11:1
Jesus said, 'Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth; I have not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; and one's foes will be members of one's own household.Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; and whoever does not take up the cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Those who find their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake will find it.
'Whoever welcomes you welcomes me, and whoever welcomes me welcomes the one who sent me. Whoever welcomes a prophet in the name of a prophet will receive a prophet's reward; and whoever welcomes a righteous person in the name of a righteous person will receive the reward of the righteous; and whoever gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones in the name of a disciple-truly I tell you, none of these will lose their reward.'
Now when Jesus had finished instructing his twelve disciples, he went on from there to teach and proclaim his message in their cities.


Thoughts from the cornfield:
I was thinking about today's readings and wondering why Jesus would want to set family members against each other. My thinking is that in this passage, Jesus is giving us a bit of a slap upside the head. Of course warring families is not his desire. The point he is making is that seeking the kingdom should be our very first priority, because without that, everything else is meaningless. Sometimes our words of evangelization are going to cause disharmony - even in families. Denominations fight against demonination - each one thinking that its way is the only way. Here is my humble opinion, for what it's worth. There is only one path to God for Christians, and that is, of course, through Jesus Christ. But . . . there are many paths to Jesus.

One of the misconceptions about people in the Roman Catholic church is that we "pray to saints." Actually, this is not what is happening. We ask the saints to pray for us - as part of the communion of saints - the way we pray for each other. We look to the saints, not as examples of perfection, but as examples of how God works in our lives, imperfect though they are. The Catholic Church has a process called canonization in which she formally recognizes the spirtual conversions of pilgrims on the path. That would be our "disciples hall of fame" as it were. The misunderstanding of how we view saints comes through some overzealousness on the part of some believers in which they attribute intervention rather than petition to some in the communion of saints. Icons, pictures, statues - these are only reminders; not unlike family photographs that we put out in our homes. They should be just that, though, reminders. They are not vested with any special powers other than to help us to remember who we are. Through our baptism we are all called to holiness.

I did a search on St. Camillus of Lellis and found this online:

From SACRED HEART PARISH
Waterlooville
"A SAINT for the WEEK
July 14th. St. Camillus of Lellis.
He was born in 1550 in the remote Abruzzi region, high in the central Italian Apennines. Strong, violent, and addicted to gambling, he served as a soldier in the army of Venice, until brought low by disease and by the loss of all his fortune at the gambling table. In 1575 he underwent a spiritual conversion; he wanted to join the Franciscans, but his health prevented it, and he was to become Bursar of the San Giacomo Hospital in Rome. Encouraged by St. Philip Neri, he was to be ordained, and in 1585 dedicated himself with a group of others to the service of the sick, of prisoners, and especially of plague victims. This nucleus of workers formed the basis of his Order of Ministers of the Sick. Some members of this Order went with the armies to Hungary and to Croatia as the first recorded field ambulance service; others founded hospitals, in Rome, Naples and elsewhere. Many died of the plague caught from those they tended. St. Camillus died in Genoa in 1614 and was canonised in 1746. "


Here is an example of one who saved his life by spending it. Love increases only when it is spent. That is the nature of love, is it not?



God bless the troops!

No comments: