God Bless Our Troops

Saturday, July 5, 2008

On the lowcarb front:
I have a feeling that tomorrow's weigh-in is not going to be pretty. It's been a bad week eating wise. I seem to have lost focus. I am a person who really has to work hard at focusing. The bigger picture is always overwhelming to me. This is the reason that freeways scare me. My brain just can't process that much information at once. So this morning I have re-grouped. I have my menu planned for the week. I am going to focus on sticking solely to that menu with no deviations - no grabbing a handful of this or that and not accounting for it. No eating other that planned meals or snacks. Just for today. Tomorrow will take care of itself.

Word of the day:
Matthew 9:14-17
The disciples of John came to Jesus, saying, "Why do we and the Pharisees fast often, but your disciples do not fast?" And Jesus said to them, "The wedding guests cannot mourn as long as the bridegroom is with them, can they? The days will come when the bridegroom is taken away from them, and then they will fast. No one sews a piece of unshrunk cloth on an old cloak, for the patch pulls away from the cloak, and a worse tear is made. Neither is new wine put into old wineskins; otherwise, the skins burst, and the wine is spilled, and the skins are destroyed; but new wine is put into fresh wineskins, and so both are preserved."


Reflections from the cornfield:
The Bible is divided into 2 parts - the Old Testament (or Hebrew Scriptures) and the New Testament(or Christian Scriptures). The first points to the coming of Christ and the second is the fulfillment of the first.

I used to teach religion class to 7th graders. I loved this age because this is where they begin to question. I had one boy in the class named Joey. He was the brave one who always asked the questions that the others were afraid to ask. One question stands out in my mind. Why do we need the Old Testament? I couldn't give him an answer just then so I told him I would think about it. What came to mind was the parellel Jesus often made between marriage and our relationship with God. The Old Testament could be seen as the courtship and the New Testament, the marriage. When a couple marries, they bring their courtship experience to the marriage and yet they are beginning life anew. They move from the homes in which they grew up and move to a new home. They bring their new relationship as husband and wife (new wine) to a new dwelling place (new wineskins).

Sometimes, when I am at a wedding, as the bide and groom take their vows, I can hear another voice speaking gentle words.

The Bridegroom
I, (Source of all Love) take you,
(whom I have called by name)
to be my own.
I promise to be true to you:
In good times
(even when you forget me)
and in bad
(even when you curse me)
In sickness,
(even when you blame me)
and in health,
(even when you think you don't need me)
for richer
(even when you lose sight of me)
and for poorer
(especially then)
I will love you
(though you crucify me)
and honor you
(who are made in my image)
All the days of my life.
(forever)
Amen
(from The Tarantella Dancers copyright, Mary A. Moeggenborg, 2000)
God bless the troops!

No comments: