God Bless Our Troops

Saturday, September 20, 2008

I poured some of my grungy candles last night. I am excited about these. I made my own blend of fragrance that smells just like Autumn to me. It is spicy with cinnamon, clove, and sweet potato with slightly sweet top notes of orange. I have my tester burning now.







I am headed for my workout.
*********************************************************
My stats for today:
Type: Treadmill
Route: manual settings
Time: 28 minutes
Average heart rate: 102
Maximum heart rate:126

Calories burned: 150
Up 1.4 from last Saturday
2 activity points earned

***************************************************************
Well, I did my workout. Saturday workouts are flexible because sometimes I'm not home. Today I was surprised by a little gremlin named Clayton. He was followed by Anna, Melisa, Nicola, Claire, and Shelley. I have a tendency to scream when startled which provided comic relief for the intruders. I ended up getting a fairly decent workout in anyway. I leave Saturdays flexible for just that reason. Also because we have craft shows etc on Saturdays. Leaving it flexible gives me no excuse for abandoning the whole program because of one workout. It's what we habitually do, not the occasional sidestep, that gets us where we want to go.

I have decided to stick with the Glycemic Load and track with Weight Watcher points. I need parameters. I intend to read Wendy Chant's book for the benefit of research, but I think due to my blood sugar issues I need to stay with the Glycemic Load choices and levels.

Word of the day:

Memorial of Saint Andrew Kim Taegon, priest and martyr,
Saint Paul Chong Hasang, martyr, and their companions, martyrs

Gospel
Lk 8:4-15

When a large crowd gathered, with people from one town after another
journeying to Jesus, he spoke in a parable.
“A sower went out to sow his seed.
And as he sowed, some seed fell on the path and was trampled,
and the birds of the sky ate it up.
Some seed fell on rocky ground, and when it grew,
it withered for lack of moisture.
Some seed fell among thorns,
and the thorns grew with it and choked it.
And some seed fell on good soil, and when it grew,
it produced fruit a hundredfold.”
After saying this, he called out,
“Whoever has ears to hear ought to hear.”

Then his disciples asked him
what the meaning of this parable might be.
He answered,
“Knowledge of the mysteries of the Kingdom of God
has been granted to you;
but to the rest, they are made known through parables
so that they may look but not see, and hear but not understand.

“This is the meaning of the parable.
The seed is the word of God.
Those on the path are the ones who have heard,
but the Devil comes and takes away the word from their hearts
that they may not believe and be saved.
Those on rocky ground are the ones who, when they hear,
receive the word with joy, but they have no root;
they believe only for a time and fall away in time of temptation.
As for the seed that fell among thorns,
they are the ones who have heard, but as they go along,
they are choked by the anxieties and riches and pleasures of life,
and they fail to produce mature fruit.
But as for the seed that fell on rich soil,
they are the ones who, when they have heard the word,
embrace it with a generous and good heart,
and bear fruit through perseverance.”

Thoughts from the cornfield:
Although God's love is unconditional, his gifts come with a responsibility. We are free to accept or not accept that responsibility, but the resulting fruit of the gift tells how well we did or did not do that. We are the soil; God's word is the seed. No farmer in his right mind would expect any kind of crop if the soil is not prepared. When I go for my morning walks, I am surrounded by fields of corn and soybeans. The flourishing plants are witness to how well the farmer prepared his soil. We, too, need to tend the soil of our lives through daily prayer and the sharing of the gifts we have been given. Only then can God's word take root in us and bear good fruit.

God bless our troops!

No comments: