God Bless Our Troops

Sunday, September 14, 2008

'Tis a rainy one today. 'Twas a rainy one yesterday. Today's workout is on the treadmill.
I'm headed there now.

My stats for today:
Type: Treadmill
Route: Custom program 2
Time: 30 minutes
Average heart rate: 117
Maximum heart rate: 131
Calories burned: 200
Down 1 from last Sunday

Word of the day:

Gospel
Feast of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross
Jn 3:13-17
Jesus said to Nicodemus:
“No one has gone up to heaven
except the one who has come down from heaven, the Son of Man.
And just as Moses lifted up the serpent in the desert,
so must the Son of Man be lifted up,
so that everyone who believes in him may have eternal life.”

For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son,
so that everyone who believes in him might not perish
but might have eternal life.
For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world,
but that the world might be saved through him.

Thoughts from the cornfield:
Today in Catholic churches, the priest will be robed in red.
In the Church lectionary, this reading is always paired with the passage from Numbers which Jesus references here. I have been told that my brain works a little differently and that I often overthink things. That may be, it's how I'm wired. I find it ironic that it is through a serpent that man falls and God instructs Moses to mount one on a pole. Through Jesus, man lives and Man sends him to the cross. In 2 Corinthians 5:21 we find this passage, "He made Him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf, so that we might become the righteousness of God in Him." For a brief instant, Jesus became sin in order to vanquish it.
Serpents and poles, Jesus and the Cross. Coincidence? Irony? I don't know, I'm just sittin' here in my cornfield mulling it all out.

Rep. Steve Cohen, D-Tenn., on the House floor, "Barack Obama was a community organizer like Jesus...Pontias Pilate was a governor."






Did you find that hard to watch? Imagine how hard it was to live. Seems to me that Jesus was a tad bit more than a community organizer, don't you think?





God bless the troops!

No comments: