God Bless Our Troops

Thursday, September 25, 2008 - Week 1 - Day 1

The sun is burning off the early morning fog and it looks like it is going to be a great day. I finished our stocking orders from Sunday. They still need to be steamed and packaged. Then have 2 more to do from an order yesterday, The Ebay ad has produced zip, zilch, nada, but then I usually see nothing from that until mid October. I won't bother to list there again until then.

I read some more of Wendy Chant's book. I think I am going try it. It looks like the only bad week I will have is the first one. I may not make it through the first week if my sugar tanks, but I will take it one meal at a time. Last night was grocery night so I am all set for the week. So, today is the first day of the first week. I have everything planned out for today. According to the thread on lowcarb friends, day 3 is murder. Day 3 will be Saturday. If I'm going to have a bad day, Saturday would be the best time for it - I don't see a lot of people on Saturday. We shall see.

I am testing some of our simmer scents - today's is Hot Apple Pie. It's very nice, but I think my favorite so far is Orange Clove. I can't seem to find the simmer crocks that used to be around - the little ones made by Rival. All I can find are the Little Dippers, and you have to buy a whole roaster to get that.

Gotta get moving, I'm late for my walk!

My stats for today:
Type: Outside
Route: Deadend and back
Time: 31 minutes
Average heart rate: 109
Maximum heart rate: 127

Up .8 from last Thursday:

The trees are beginning to turn. My route takes me between two farm fields. As I headed east, to my left was a small tree that has turned a brilliant orange.
*************************************
The first week on Wendy Chant's program is the Carb-Deplete cycle. Soooo, for breakfast I had a half cup of cottage cheese and a cup of coffee with cream and DaVinci sugar free syrup. I've packed my required cup of broccoli which I will top with a slice of cheese. I have also packed tuna and mayo. With that I am taking a package of sliced turkey just in case I need it. Tonight I will have Wendy's Egg Cheeseburger. The idea is to stay under 20 grams of carbs per day for the week in order to deplete the glycogen stores. This will convert the body from burning glucose to burning fat. None of this is new to me, but this isn't exactly like Atkins induction. Fats are limited a bit more. By day 3 the glycogen stores should be depleted and fat should be the source of energy. If one is using ketostix, it is at this point that they should start turning purple.

Word of the day:
Thursday of the Twenty-fifth Week in Ordinary Time
Gospel
Lk 9:7-9
Herod the tetrarch heard about all that was happening,
and he was greatly perplexed because some were saying,
“John has been raised from the dead”;
others were saying, “Elijah has appeared”;
still others, “One of the ancient prophets has arisen.”
But Herod said, “John I beheaded.
Who then is this about whom I hear such things?”
And he kept trying to see him.

Thoughts from the cornfield:
It's ironic that though Jesus repeatedly cautioned people not to tell anyone of his works, the word spread mighty quickly. It's all the more amazing when you consider that the news media in Jesus' time was limited to word of mouth. It's also interesting that when people were trying to figure out who Jesus was, the thought that he might be the Messiah never entered their heads. I wonder what it would be like today with our present media - that sure would be something to see. In this day and age when people are seeing the face of Jesus in everything from a plate of spaghetti to graffitti on a bridge - I wonder if we would be any more likely to recognize him.


God bless the troops!

2 comments:

Anna said...

I would like to volunteer to take one of the "whole roasters" off your hands for you :)

Sugar Bush Primitives said...

I never bought one. I didn't need a whole roaster. LOL! But I do have 2 if you need them for Thanksgiving. I meant to say you had to buy a big roaster (as opposed to maybe half a roaster.) :P