God Bless Our Troops

Sunday, October 19, 2008

Today is a Carb Up day. These are a little tricky because the day after a carb up day, there is always some water weight. That is why my comparisons are not to the previous day, but to the same day of the previous week.

I am headed out the door on yet another beautiful fall day. I finally remembered to ask Harold to cut the corn shocks so now my scarecrow and jack-o-lantern are gracing the front yard.
Last night my friend Marlene (hi Marlene) told me about a trail that goes, or will go, from Alma to Greenville. I knew there was one, but didn't know how extensive it was. I think next year I will investigate that trail on Fridays after Mass.

Didn't get much cleaning done yesterday. Seems I was rushing the whole day without much to show for it. The laundry is in a pile on the bedroom floor, and we won't even talk about the laundry room. I managed to get dishes done, but the music room still has piles of stuff all around with the centerpiece being the vacuum which sits there in an accusatory manner.

Daily stats:
Type:
Walk
Route: Corner and back
Time: 10
Average heart rate: hrm battery died
Max heart rate:hrm battery died
Down 1.2
from last Sunday (whoo hoo!)


Word of the day:

Twenty-ninth Sunday in Ordinary Time
Gospel
Mt 22:15-21

The Pharisees went off
and plotted how they might entrap Jesus in speech.
They sent their disciples to him, with the Herodians, saying,
"Teacher, we know that you are a truthful man (too truthful; we wish you would keep quiet)
and that you teach the way of God in accordance with the truth. (sneer sneer)
And you are not concerned with anyone's opinion, (particularly ours)
for you do not regard a person's status. (if you did, you would treat us with the respect due us, you itinerant preacher!)
Tell us, then, what is your opinion: (you have the right to remain silent. If you choose to give up that right, anything you say can and will be used against you before the Sanhedrin)
Is it lawful to pay the census tax to Caesar or not?" (let's see you answer this one. Heh Heh!)
Knowing their malice, Jesus said,
"Why are you testing me, you hypocrites?
Show me the coin that pays the census tax."
Then they handed him the Roman coin.
He said to them, "Whose image is this and whose inscription?"
They replied, "Caesar's."
At that he said to them,
"Then repay to Caesar what belongs to Caesar
and to God what belongs to God."
(Curses, foiled again!)

Thoughts from the cornfield:
I don't know about you, but when someone starts schmoozing the way these guys did, my antenna go up - my translation is in red in the previous passage. I can't help but picture them the way they were portrayed in "Jesus Christ, Superstar," as scavenging vultures.


God bless our troops!

No comments: