God Bless Our Troops

November 3, 2008 - Day 2

My, my. How time flies. On this date 35 years ago, I met Harold. It was one of those flukey meetings where each of us was in a place we normally wouldn't have been - at least at that time. But isn't that how life goes most of the time?

Today is Day 2 of the Eleven Day Diet. This day is going to be tough because for 3 meals of the day, we have fruit. And then for one meal, a deli sandwich. It really does help me to know that I have company - even if we aren't talking about it. LOL!

The scale is up today. Yesterdays menu included cashew, and I forgot to take one of my meds so the water is making it presence knows.

Tomorrow is voting day. I am so tired of this election. Probably because the campaigning began early. I'm just sick of it. I am going to the polls tomorrow and trust that God is in charge - because he is.

I am heading out to burn trash and go for my first walk in a while. Never made it out yesterday. Will update when I get back.

Daily stats:
Type: Walk/jog
Route: Deadend/back

Time: Minutes
Average heart rate: 114
Maximum heart rate: 133
Up . 8 last Monday

The path was covered with deer tracks this morning. That means drivers need to be extra careful - the deer are on the run.

Word of the day:
Monday of the Thirty-first Week in Ordinary Time
Gospel
Lk 14:12-14

On a sabbath Jesus went to dine
at the home of one of the leading Pharisees.
He said to the host who invited him,
“When you hold a lunch or a dinner,
do not invite your friends or your brothers or sisters
or your relatives or your wealthy neighbors,
in case they may invite you back and you have repayment.
Rather, when you hold a banquet,
invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind;
blessed indeed will you be because of their inability to repay you.
For you will be repaid at the resurrection of the righteous.”

Thoughts from the cornfield:
Quid pro quo. Isn't that what often drives us - this need to receive a return on our "investments?" That is all well and good in the banking world, but when dealing with our brothers and sisters, it can be a source for a lot of headache, heartache, and just plain bad feelings. When God gives us laws, it is not to restrict us, it is for our benefit. If we change the motivation of why we do what we do, we experience a paradigm shift. If we give out of guilt or obligation, you can bet we are going to be looking for reasons not to give. If the giver is reluctant, then he perceives the receiver as unworthy. This causes resentment - on both sides. But when love, not obligation, is the motivation, there is blessing for both the giver and receiver. The older I get, the more I find this to be true.
"So let each one give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver" (2 Corinthians 9:7).



God bless our troops!

No comments: