God Bless Our Troops

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Today is the Great American Smokeout. Today is the day that smokers are urged to forego smoking for one day. In years past, when the Smokeout would be announced, I would feel guilty and tune it out. I was a smoker. I didn't want to hear about how it harmed my health. I was hooked. I smoked for over 30 years. I never thought I would be able to quit. On November 28, 2000, at 7:00 pm I took my last puff of a cigarette. It wasn't the first time I had quit. I really had no confidence that I ever could. But I did. I pray for people who still smoke because I know the addiction and the hold it takes on us. And it isn't just the nicotine. For me it was the psychological addiction that kept me going back time after time, plunking money down for pack after pack. I thank God that I was able to quit and I pray that others who still smoke find the strength to quit.

Last night I logged into Facebook to find that Anna has been a busy little bee. She's been working non-stop all week. Ummmmm, so I made a batch of fudge. I also did a couple of stockings (7 to go) and got a little cleaning done (very little). I need to make a couple more batches of fudge and some of our chex mix.

I'm headed out for my walk.

Daily stats:
Type: Walk/jog

Route: Leaton and back
Time: 23 minutes
Average heart rate:121

Max heartrate: 135
Down 3 pounds from last Thursday


I bundled up good this morning and the walk was invigorating. There was a very light powdery snow falling.


Word of the day:

Gospel
Lk 19:41-44

As Jesus drew near Jerusalem,
he saw the city and wept over it, saying,
“If this day you only knew what makes for peace–
but now it is hidden from your eyes.
For the days are coming upon you
when your enemies will raise a palisade against you;
they will encircle you and hem you in on all sides.
They will smash you to the ground and your children within you,
and they will not leave one stone upon another within you
because you did not recognize the time of your visitation.”


God bless our troops!

1 comment:

Country*Road*Primitives said...

Congratulations on quitting smoking! I am so happy you were able to do it... I know it is so hard for many and I pray that they will be able to be strong and overcome it, too. My hubby used to smoke and stopped smoking 5 years ago :) xox