God Bless Our Troops

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - Happy Birthday Jamie!

Today one of my favorite people celebrates his birthday. Jamie joined our family on April 15, 2005 in the form of Nicola's husband. LOL! Have a great day, Jamie. And save me some lasagna!

Well, I got the word from Clayton and Claire this morning. Given the choice between making cookie ornaments or cookies to eat, the unanimous decision was to make cookies of the eating kind. To quote Claire, "EAT EAT!" So Grandma needs to prepare her shopping list. Cookies of the eating kind require different ingredients than cookies of the ornament kind. My plan is to have the dough mixed and ready for Friday. The plan and the actuality will probably be vastly different, but no matter what, it is sure to be fun. Can you guess which one of these two cuties loves to have her picture taken? All you have to do is show her the camera and Claire says "Peas" and strikes a pose. Clayton - not so much.

I made 2 batches of cinnamon stick candles last night - one batch of jar candles, and one batch of pillars and tarts. The house smells - well - it smells cinnamony. The jar candles turned out beautifully. The tarts were great, the pillars look rustic. I am living my dream - making candles and soap. I love it! Speaking of soap, I haven't made any in weeks. Come December I need to re-stock.

Retirement from the school looms ever closer. I have mixed feelings, but all-in-all I am looking forward to it. On a day I can't remember, I suddenly became old. Well, older - less resistant to change. I am looking forward to having more time to do the things I love - quilting, soapmaking, candle making, and best of all, being Grandma. I will still be at the church so I won't be completely unemployed. I will have the best of both worlds. And, there is a possibility that they will need me from time to time at the school.

Word of the day: Tuesday of the Thirty-fourth Week in Ordinary Time Gospel Lk 21:5-11

While some people were speaking about how the temple was adorned with costly stones and votive offerings, Jesus said, “All that you see here– the days will come when there will not be left a stone upon another stone that will not be thrown down.” Then they asked him, “Teacher, when will this happen? And what sign will there be when all these things are about to happen?” He answered, “See that you not be deceived, for many will come in my name, saying, ‘I am he,’ and ‘The time has come.’ Do not follow them! When you hear of wars and insurrections, do not be terrified; for such things must happen first, but it will not immediately be the end.” Then he said to them, “Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be powerful earthquakes, famines, and plagues from place to place; and awesome sights and mighty signs will come from the sky.”

Thoughts from the cornfield:
The readings at this time of the year are in direct contrast to what we see going on in the world. Lights are hung to stave away the darkness that falls ever earlier as the days grow shorter. Furnaces are lit and fires burn in fireplaces to warm the air that grows ever colder. Christmas speaks of love, peace, and joy and yet we sometimes see very little of it as people scramble to prepare for the "perfect" Martha Stewart Norman Rockwell Better Homes and Gardens Christmas. In and of itself, there is absolutely nothing wrong with decorating and baking and shopping. These are all beautiful ways to celebrate the season and serve others. But underneath it all, if we're not careful, we can lose sight of the bigger picture. As we heard in Sunday's gospel, we are also expected to feed the hungry, give drink to the thirsty, welcome the stranger, clothe the naked, visit the sick and the imprisoned. This can - and should - all be done in a spirit of love, peace, and joy. This year, let's not get so caught up in the wrappings and trappings that we forget the gift inside.


God bless our troops!

No comments: