God Bless Our Troops

Sunday, January 11, 2009

I made Berry Pickin' candles yesterday. I've never made that scent in candles and now I am wondering why. It smells wonderful.
********************************************
The girls have decided that today's dinner will be a soup day. My job was to come up with a bread. I made one from a recipe I found. It is Maple Oat Bread. You can guess why that one caught my eye. I had a tiny piece from the loaf. Mmmmmmm. For those who count Weight Watcher points, it's 3.5 points per slice and well worth it! I made mine with half whole wheat flour. I've missed baking bread. That's something I will be going back to. I have a bread maker, but it isn't the same thing as actually getting your hands in the dough.

Word of the day:
Feast of the Baptism of the Lord
Gospel
Mk 1:7-11

This is what John the Baptist proclaimed:
“One mightier than I is coming after me.
I am not worthy to stoop and loosen the thongs of his sandals.
I have baptized you with water;
he will baptize you with the Holy Spirit.”

It happened in those days that Jesus came from Nazareth of Galilee
and was baptized in the Jordan by John.
On coming up out of the water he saw the heavens being torn open
and the Spirit, like a dove, descending upon him.
And a voice came from the heavens,
“You are my beloved Son; with you I am well pleased.”

Thoughts from the cornfield:
At church last night there was a discussion with the pastor as to whether this was still considered Christmas. Each of us were firmly convinced that our position was the correct one. However, after looking at a few sources, it would appear that we (as Kevin said last night) are both right.

My planning calendar puts this feast within the confines of Christmas, but Kevin's Sacramentary calls this the first week of Ordinary time. 'Tis a connundrum. I looked at one of my music sources and not one Christmas song is listed. So I looked at another source and it lists "Joy to the World" as a song choice. So Kevin has decided that this is a transition week. Works for me but I think this needs to be clarified by the liturgical powers that be.

And what does any of this have to do with today's Gospel. Nothing. :)

God bless our troops!

No comments: