God Bless Our Troops

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Today a dear friend would have been 58. John was the kind of guy who, when he saw a need, did his darndest to fill it. Never complained. Never said an unkind word about anyone. Always put others first. I guess God decided that for once John should go home early. Happy Birthday, Cute John. We all miss you!
**************************************************
The world is in a deep freeze today. At least as far as my eye can see. Wind chills are close to -20. I'm wondering where global warming went. I can remember a winter like this back in the 1980s. Weeks of frigid temps. This is extreme even for Michigan.
**************************************************
Well wa'd ya think of Biggest Loser last night? My thoughts about this are on my Biggest Loser Journey blog.
************************************************
I started cleaning out my craft/quilting/knitting room last night. I am working my way through the NCIS series. The room is in very bad shape and needs decluttering badly. I want to finish up some quilts that I started last summer. I also owe my little Claire-Bear a "big girl bed" quilt. She wants a pink quilt. Clay says it has to have green in it too. Not sure why Clay thinks he get a vote, but there it is. Claire agrees to the green also. I think maybe it will have hearts on it. And then there is little Kelli or Sam jr. I'll plan that one when we know for sure. I have missed quilting and can't wait to get that room cleaned out.
**************************************************
The scent of the day yesterday was Honeysuckle. I'm getting ready to cut the bars of soap. Last week's Berry Pickin' is headed for the soap rack downstairs.

Stay warm today!
*************************************************


Wednesday of the First Week in Ordinary Time
Gospel
Mk 1:29-39

On leaving the synagogue
Jesus entered the house of Simon and Andrew with James and John.
Simon’s mother-in-law lay sick with a fever.
They immediately told him about her.
He approached, grasped her hand, and helped her up.
Then the fever left her and she waited on them.

When it was evening, after sunset,
they brought to him all who were ill or possessed by demons.
The whole town was gathered at the door.
He cured many who were sick with various diseases,
and he drove out many demons,
not permitting them to speak because they knew him.

Rising very early before dawn,
he left and went off to a deserted place, where he prayed.
Simon and those who were with him pursued him
and on finding him said, “Everyone is looking for you.”
He told them, “Let us go on to the nearby villages
that I may preach there also.
For this purpose have I come.”
So he went into their synagogues, preaching and driving out demons
throughout the whole of Galilee.

Thoughts from the cornfield:
When I was younger and read this passage, I immediately zoomed in on the fact that Peter's mother-in-law, upon being cured, got up and waited on the men. Hmmmph! Isn't that always the way. I was younger then, and even though I wasn't part of the feminist movement, elements of their agenda did creep into my thinking. But I believe that sentence about her waiting on them was meant to jump out at the reader. It is a casual statement about a miraculous occurrance. It wasn't a commentary about women being subservient to men - it was about a healing so complete that Peter's mother-in-law was immediately able to resume her life. No convalescence - no nothing. And what did Jesus say about a servant's heart?

When I read this passage, I think of my late grandmother. I see her in Peter's mother-in-law. She lived to wait on other people. This was her life blood. This gave her pleasure. This was how she expressed her love. We get in trouble, I think, when we look at service to others as something less than noble, as something beneath us. Grandmala would have risen from that bed and scooted everyone to the table and served them ravioli, zuppa, and home-made bread.

If you want to learn something about a person, watch how they treat servers in a restaurant - or at the dry cleaner - or at Walmart the day after Thanksgiving.



God bless our troops!

*****************************************************************

No comments: