God Bless Our Troops

Sunday, June 7, 2009

Yesterday Sarah and Ben were married. I think my favorite part of the reception - aside from the Candy Bar where every kind of yummy concoction was available - was when the Sarah danced with her dad. About halfway through the dance, the DJ called all fathers and daughters to come out onto the floor. Of all the times for me to forget to bring my camera. I hope my sister-in-law, Judy got a good picture of Harold surrounded by his girls in a kind of group hug out on the dance floor.

Next Ben and his mom were called out onto the dance floor. Halfway through all of the mothers and sons joined them. The last time Sam and I danced together was at his wedding almost 3 years ago. Tomorrow he turns 27 and by the end of the month he and Kelli will go from being newlyweds, to being Mommy and Daddy. Where, oh where, does the time go?

******************************************************
Word of the day:
The Most Holy Trinity - Solemnity
The Most Holy Trinity, solemnity
Today the Church celebrates : Blessed Emmanuel Ruiz and Companions,
St. Robert of Newminster (12th century)
Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Matthew 28:16-20.


The eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain to which Jesus had ordered them. When they saw him, they worshiped, but they doubted. Then Jesus approached and said to them, "All power in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go, therefore, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, until the end of the age."

Thoughts from the cornfield:
As I was listening to last night's homily a quote from Marcus Aurelius went through my head. I can't find the exact words but it was something like "speak not at all about what a good man should be, but be such." The message was about peace and I'm not sure exactly how it tied in with the readings, but since Jesus was about peace, it was probably on target. My thinking was this, "talk not about what peace should be, but live it." And live it consistently - in action and words. Our everyday words and actions show much more about who we are than what we do in a formal setting where we know people are watching us. If I say I am a person of peace, then I should strive very hard to be consistent - in word and deed. Anger and name calling are not the children of peace. I think this is where we all fall short. Peace and love are a condition of the heart. "From the fullness of the heart the mouth speaks. I tell you, on the day of judgment people will render an account for every careless word they speak. By your words you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned." Matt:12 34-37. Maybe we need to quit labeling people and using a broad brush to paint them. Maybe we should stop judging the condition of other people's hearts and take a look at our own. But what do I know, I'm just sittin' here in my cornfield looking at all the soil to be tilled in my own heart.


***********************************************

No comments: