God Bless Our Troops

Sunday, January 17, 2010

It is said that there is no loss without some gain. As the death toll mounts in Haiti it is hard to believe that there is any gain. But there are news reports of people donating millions of dollars, of people going down to Haiti to help in the rescue, recovery, and relief effort. I think the true measure of a people is not how they live when times are good, but how they respond when times are trying. As I was watching the reports on the devastation I couldn't help but think "where would a person even start with helping?" And I feel admiration for those who are stepping up and digging in. It is gratifying to see politics put aside and to see 2 former presidents from differing political parties join together to help those in need. Whether you are a Democrat or a Republican it is uplifting to see those labels set aside and former presidents William Clinton and George W. Bush pitching in to help a people in need. My only sadness is that it sometimes takes a tragedy like this to get people to work together.

Yesterday I went down to the Cathedral for a rehearsal for the Rite of Election and Chrism Mass. These are the two diocesan events that I haven't missed in over 15 years. Things have changed down at the Cathedral. There is no organist. Sr. Chris is directing and accompanying by herself. It can sometimes be a thankless job. I'm not sure what's going on with the personnel changes in the diocese. I have heard some rumors, but that is all they are. I do know that the Smoke of Satan still drifts over the Church and while Satan is a foe defeated, he is not yet dead and he will take as many with him as he can. 'Nuff said.

I was encouraged that I could actually sing yesterday. My voice broke a lot, but it's a definite improvement from the last few weeks.

I have several website orders to fill this week. That's a good thing. One lady ordered a Wildlife grubby. I haven't poured one of those in ages. I can't wait!


********************************

Word of the day:
Second Sunday in Ordinary Time
Today the Church celebrates : St. Anthony the Abbot, Patriarch of Monks (251-356)
Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint John 2:1-11.


There was a wedding at Cana in Galilee, and the mother of Jesus was there. Jesus and his disciples were also invited to the wedding. When the wine ran short, the mother of Jesus said to him, "They have no wine." (And) Jesus said to her, "Woman, how does your concern affect me? My hour has not yet come." His mother said to the servers, "Do whatever he tells you." Now there were six stone water jars there for Jewish ceremonial washings, each holding twenty to thirty gallons. Jesus told them, "Fill the jars with water." So they filled them to the brim. Then he told them, "Draw some out now and take it to the headwaiter." So they took it. And when the headwaiter tasted the water that had become wine, without knowing where it came from (although the servers who had drawn the water knew), the headwaiter called the bridegroom and said to him, "Everyone serves good wine first, and then when people have drunk freely, an inferior one; but you have kept the good wine until now." Jesus did this as the beginning of his signs in Cana in Galilee and so revealed his glory, and his disciples began to believe in him.

No comments: