God Bless Our Troops

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

I woke this morning to the news of the earthquake in Haiti. Those poor people. So much suffering already and then this on top of it. We have a diocesan priest who is down there. Many years ago our parish welcomed a missionary priest Fr. Glenn Meaux who is also down there. Please pray for the people of Haiti.

Today we take down the Christmas decorations in the church. It is a huge job, just a little less taxing than putting things up. I am hoping there will be people there to help us. I can't count the number of times I have heard "you need to get more people to help you." Yet the people who tell us that are never the ones who show up to help. The other problem is that we have moved this to during the week and most people have to work. I think we need to go back to doing this after Mass on Sundays. Most people are willing to stay and help for at least a few minutes after Mass and that can make a huge difference. We dropped the ball on that one.

I am going to have to sneak over to the doctor's office some time today. My throat is hurting again and I am not getting much sleep due to hacking all night long. During the day I don't feel too bad, but the continued sore throat - especially after a course of antibiotics - has me concerned.

I had a fun morning with the girls yesterday. Madison is such a funny baby. She is much more interactive now. She likes to put her hand on my cheek when drinking her bottle. Claire loves to help with anything she can. She helped me move all the clothes from the bedroom to the laundry room, she helped me steam clean the kitchen and basement floors, and she helped me make the bed. She is a good little helper. I am so blessed to have them living so close.

I am reconnecting with Flylady. This house is just getting away from me.
This week:
Zone 3: The Bathroom and One Extra Room (January 11 - 15)
My one extra room will have to be the laundry room. It is the first thing most people see when they come into our house.
I watched the show "Hoaders" for the first time last Monday night. It was eye opening. While I'm not nearly as bad as those featured on the show, I do have the same tendencies to become distracted from the job at hand. I would love to see what Flylady could do with these poor people.

Afternoon update:
Well, I headed out for church and promptly succeeded in getting the truck stuck in the yard. (Please don't ask me how I did that.) I tried frantically to dig myself out. No luck. Then I called the church office to tell our parish manager what was going on. She informed me that everyone was wondering where I was. There was no way I was going to not go to church. It's too big a job to not have everyone on board. So I prayed to God, asking for help. Two minutes later our UPS man drove up with a delivery. He had the truck unstuck in 2 minutes flat. Thank you Mr. UPS man!!!

So I got to church and my throat is killing me. I called the doctor and made an appointment for 1:00. The good news is that when I got to church there were 3 men there to help us, and one of them had been in the day before to take down the trees. Thank you so much to Jesse Ramirez, Dick Klumpp, and Jim Smith! Linda and I couldn't have done it without you!

Now I have some new meds and I am going to know this sinus infection out of the ball park!!!


****************************
Word of the day:
Wednesday of the First week in Ordinary Time
Today the Church celebrates : St Hilary of Poitiers, Bishop and Doctor of the Church (c. 315- c. 367), St. Veronica of Binasco, Religious (144-1497)
Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Mark 1:29-39.


On leaving the synagogue Jesus entered the house of Simon and Andrew with James and John. Simon's mother-in-law lay sick with a fever. They immediately told him about her. He approached, grasped her hand, and helped her up. Then the fever left her and she waited on them. When it was evening, after sunset, they brought to him all who were ill or possessed by demons. The whole town was gathered at the door. He cured many who were sick with various diseases, and he drove out many demons, not permitting them to speak because they knew him. Rising very early before dawn, he left and went off to a deserted place, where he prayed. Simon and those who were with him pursued him and on finding him said, "Everyone is looking for you." He told them, "Let us go on to the nearby villages that I may preach there also. For this purpose have I come." So he went into their synagogues, preaching and driving out demons throughout the whole of Galilee.

No comments: