God Bless Our Troops

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Yesterday was an odd day.  Odd, in that it was a departure from my usual routine.  I tend to take comfort in routines.  John, Bea, Sabina, and I went out the see Marian at the facility next to Covenant.  Her kidneys are failing and she is retaining a lot of water.  I was surprised that she recognized us.  She seemed very alert and was trying very hard to tell us something.  I felt frustrated for her that we couldn't understand what she wanted to tell us.  I know that she knew us - we locked eyes with her.  We stayed a while and then I remember her devotion to the Rosary, so we prayed the Rosary over her.  She tried to pray it with us.  It was so hard to see her that way, but I am extremely grateful that she knew we had come to see her.

I didn't go to RCIA last night.  I just wanted to stay home and wrap myself in familiarity.  I made a couple of Christmas stockings and packaged another box of things for next fall.  These were votive holders.  I love snowmen and it was fun to package them while I watched Biggest Loser.

I also finished piecing Anna's quilt.  I started this thing way back before Clayton was born.  I can remember working on it on the way to Melisa's baby shower at Cheryl's.

Now I need to put the borders on, sandwich it, and the fun of hand-quilting can begin.  I love to handquilt.  I'm not very good at it, but I still love to do it.


Word of the day:
Wednesday after Epiphany
Today the Church celebrates : St. John N. Neumann, Bishop (1811-1860) - Memorial, St. Simeon Stylites (c.401-460)
Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Mark 6:45-52.

Then he made his disciples get into the boat and precede him to the other side toward Bethsaida, while he dismissed the crowd. And when he had taken leave of them, he went off to the mountain to pray. When it was evening, the boat was far out on the sea and he was alone on shore. Then he saw that they were tossed about while rowing, for the wind was against them. About the fourth watch of the night, he came toward them walking on the sea. He meant to pass by them. But when they saw him walking on the sea, they thought it was a ghost and cried out. They had all seen him and were terrified. But at once he spoke with them, "Take courage, it is I, do not be afraid!" He got into the boat with them and the wind died down. They were (completely) astounded. They had not understood the incident of the loaves. On the contrary, their hearts were hardened.

No comments: