God Bless Our Troops

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Whoo!  We just got back from a 10 day trip including Las Vegas, the Hoover Dam, and the Grand Canyon.  I am very happy to be home!  I'm more of a homebody.  We did have a great time, saw some awesome sights and some weird people.  I wish I didn't have to get up early tomorrow to play Mass.  Not that I don't love it, but I am a person who needs more transition time and a day to regroup would be nice.  Oh well.

Before we left on our trip, I mentioned that I had found some great soaping videos on YouTube.  As always seems to happen, one or two nasty people have to spoil things for others.  I don't know if it's jealousy or just plain nastiness, but makes me sad because there are some terrific and talented soapmakers who give so much of themselves to inspire others and then they have to put up with someone else's lack of manners and civility.  I hope these wonderful ladies aren't run off of YouTube because I would hate to see the haters win!

Anyway, on the trip I had all kinds of ideas filling my brain that I want to try.  I was all excited about using glitter on my soaps, and I ordered some before we left.  I was very disappointed to come home and find that the package wasn't here.  I went to the website to contact the company and found that my order status said, "awaiting payment from PayPal."  So I have to wait a little longer to try that new little technique.

I have been using slab molds almost exclusively, but I have seen such beautiful soap made from log molds.  I have tried a couple, but I need a lot more practice.  I love bar soaps, and I have many faithful customers, but these pretty soap slices have me intrigued and I can't wait to try my hand at it.  No one around here makes soap like that. . 

Word of the day:
Thursday of the Seventh week in Ordinary Time
Today the Church celebrates : Bl. Thomas Mary Fusco, Priest (1831-1891)
Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Mark 9:41-50.


Anyone who gives you a cup of water to drink because you belong to Christ, amen, I say to you, will surely not lose his reward. Whoever causes one of these little ones who believe (in me) to sin, it would be better for him if a great millstone were put around his neck and he were thrown into the sea. If your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter into life maimed than with two hands to go into Gehenna, into the unquenchable fire. And if your foot causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter into life crippled than with two feet to be thrown into Gehenna. And if your eye causes you to sin, pluck it out. Better for you to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye than with two eyes to be thrown into Gehenna, where 'their worm does not die, and the fire is not quenched.' Everyone will be salted with fire. Salt is good, but if salt becomes insipid, with what will you restore its flavor? Keep salt in yourselves and you will have peace with one another."

No comments: