God Bless Our Troops

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Diane stopped by today and brought a quart of goat's milk from this morning's milking.  I've not used fresh goat milk before.  I've used the homogenized Meyerberg and powdered so I was a little nervous.  I decided to use a fragrance oil that I know will not seize up on me.  I mixed the lye in half the amount of water plus a teaspoon of titanium dioxide and then put the pitcher in a bowl of ice water to cool it down.  When it was below 150 degrees, I slowly poured in the goat milk to equal the rest of the liquid.  It turned a pretty buttery cream color.  I assembled the rest of the things I would need, put the pitcher of lye/water/milk in a safe place and went up town for a wedding rehearsal.  When I came home, the lye solution had thickened up to a light pudding consistency - probably due to the high fat content of the goat's milk.  It worried me a little, but  I went ahead and made my soap as usual and everything went well.  I noticed a heavy ammonia smell when I first mixed the goat milk in the lye water and I will probably smell it when I cut the loaf, but that will disappear in a day or so.
I can't wait until this cures so I can see if there is a difference.  I like the ease and convenience of the powdered stuff, but it is expensive.  I want to see if there really is a big difference.  If so, I will probably start getting milk from Diane.  I miss the milk we used to get from our dairy goats.  It made the best ice cream and rice pudding.  Diane says she uses it for fudge too.  Hmmmmm, my mind is spinning.  :)
 

Thursday of the Fourth week of Easter
Saint(s) of the day : St. Peter Celestine, Pope (1221-1296), St. Yvo, Priest (1253-1303)
Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint John 13:16-20.
When Jesus had washed the disciples' feet, he said to them: «Amen, amen, I say to you, no slave is greater than his master nor any messenger greater than the one who sent him.
If you understand this, blessed are you if you do it.
I am not speaking of all of you. I know those whom I have chosen. But so that the scripture might be fulfilled, 'The one who ate my food has raised his heel against me.'
From now on I am telling you before it happens, so that when it happens you may believe that I AM.
Amen, amen, I say to you, whoever receives the one I send receives me, and whoever receives me receives the one who sent me."

No comments: