God Bless Our Troops

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

I am just thrilled with the way last night's batch of soap turned out. I made Candy Apple, but I did something a little different. The last time I did this soap I was still making bars and hadn't yet switched to Cold Process. I used pink kaolin clay to swirl color. This time I decided to add pink kaolin clay to the entire batch and swirl with a burgundy mica. Because the fragrance oil has vanillin in it, the finish batch turns to a light beige. The color in the kaolin clay doesn't do much to color the soap, however, the clay is a wonderful addition!!

Last night I added the kaolin clay before adding the lye/goat milk solution. When the lye solution hit the oils they became thick and creamy. I was a little alarmed at first because I had never seen it do that before. I thought it was trying to seize on me (which doesn't usually happen until fragrance oil is added). But I kept blending. When I added the fragrance oil, it didn't want to blend in at first. I was very nervous, to say the least. But I kept blending and poured it into the molds. It stayed creamy and smooth. I was able to unmold the leaves last night. I waited until this morning to unmold the wooden mold because I was afraid that batch might decide to gel and leave me with a huge caustic mess to clean up in the morning. Normally, if it's going to heat up and gel, it does so in the first couple of hours, but I wasn't taking any chances.

This morning I got up and cut the batch first thing. Omigosh!!! The loaf is beautiful. The camera doesn't quite pick up on the creamy quality. I think I will be adding kaolin clay to all of my soaps from now on!  I tried an end cut (no it's not cured and I should wait a month, but I gotta be me.)  The lather was thick and creamy.  I cannot wait until this is cured.  Tonight I am going to do a Lavender batch.

I hadn't realized that this is the last week I can make soap and have it ready for the Maple Syrup festival.


In other news, we went down to visit our newest grandbaby. It was so nice to only have to drive an hour. It was 2 1/2 hours when we went to Grand Rapids. The longer drive wasn't bad, but it cut into visiting time. Sam, Kelli, and the girls were there when we arrived. Madison and Meghan were quite excited about baby Ben. We got to hold him for a long, long, time!!




It's been a very good week so far!


Word of the day:
Tuesday of the Fifth week of Lent
Saint(s) of the day : St John of Egypt (+ 394)
Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint John 8:21-30.

Jesus said to the Pharisees: "I am going away and you will look for me, but you will die in your sin. Where I am going you cannot come."
So the Jews said, "He is not going to kill himself, is he, because he said, 'Where I am going you cannot come'?"
He said to them, "You belong to what is below, I belong to what is above. You belong to this world, but I do not belong to this world.
That is why I told you that you will die in your sins. For if you do not believe that I AM, you will die in your sins."
So they said to him, "Who are you?" Jesus said to them, "What I told you from the beginning.
I have much to say about you in condemnation. But the one who sent me is true, and what I heard from him I tell the world."
They did not realize that he was speaking to them of the Father.
So Jesus said (to them), "When you lift up the Son of Man, then you will realize that I AM, and that I do nothing on my own, but I say only what the Father taught me.
The one who sent me is with me. He has not left me alone, because I always do what is pleasing to him."
Because he spoke this way, many came to believe in him.

No comments: