God Bless Our Troops

Friday, January 8, 2016

Over the last couple of months I have done a lot of stress and emotional eating.  This has been a problem for me ever since I can remember.  I have fallen into the habit of vegging out in front of the TV after a long day.  Of course that involves chowing down on any unhealthy thing I can get my hands on.  Last night I decided to break that habit - and turning to food in times of stress or sadness is a habit.  What makes it difficult is that it ties food in with emotions.  

So I decided to take a baby step in the direction of breaking this lifelong habit of eating when I'm feeling bad.   I remember seeing a picture like the one below.  That is a lot of muscle involvement, particularly in the core.  The older I get, the more I see the importance of strengthening the core.  Soooooo, I got down on the floor and did 2 ten second planks.  It felt amazing.  So my new "habit" will be to do planks every other night.  The other new thing is that I am leaving my mini trampoline out.  No food at night.  None.  It is far too easy to down tons of calories in a very short time. My goal is to reach 10,000 steps.  That's it.  That's what I am going to concentrate on for the next week or so.  

                                        Image result for why do planks

Today I attended the funeral of an 18 month old who died of cancer.  The funeral was at St. Mary. I am guessing that anyone who has ever lost a child cried not only for Nolan, but for their own loss.  It was difficult for me on two levels - the first because I could feel the grief of the family.  And the second because for years my gift to grieving families was to play at funerals.  I tried to put that grief aside because today wasn't about me.  It was about two young parents who had to bury their child far too soon.



No comments: