God Bless Our Troops

Monday, February 1, 2016

Happy First of February! 
I am celebrating 2 pounds lost this week.  I can't remember if I talked about what I am doing regarding diet.  Basically, Monday-Saturday I stay below 50 carbs.  For me that results in ketosis.  Ketosis is the state in which the body is burning fat rather than glucose for fuel. This is the only thing that works for me in that it keeps my appetite in check.  It keeps the sugar cravings at bay and regulates my blood sugar.  On Sunday I can have whatever I want - not a pig out, but just a "normal people" day.  This has worked out well for me, for the last two weeks anyway.  Yesterday we attended a birthday party.  Pizza, cake, ice cream.  Tonight I am back in ketosis.  I'm not sure I quite believe it, but my ketonix swears that I am there.  Ketonix is a device that measures the ketone level in breath.  Green means small amount, yellow means medium, and red is high.  Earlier it registered red but I was sure that couldn't be.  I indulged quite a bit yesterday.  Not overboard, but definitely not lowcarb.


Last week while listening to a podcast called Organize365, I heard about another organizing podcast.  This one is called "A Slob Comes Clean."  One of my goals for the year has been to get this house in some kind of order.  For the last 2 weeks my sink has been shiny every night before I go to bed.  It makes me smile to walk into it in the morning for my coffee and see everything in order.  I love clean house, I just find it a challenge to get it that way.   So, dishes done by bedtime was my first babystep goal.  My second goal was to have the laundry done and put away by bed time on Monday night.  I've done that the last two Mondays.  I love both of the podcasts, but the "Slob" one just sounds like a kindred spirit.  People who are naturally neat and organized just don't understand the struggle for those of us that aren't.  I have taken a lot of heat over the years because of it.  Some deserved, some just mean.  Oh well.  I have learned to forgive myself for not being perfect.  (I haven't forgotten about Area 1 in the laundry room.  Still working on that, but taxes are looming.)

This morning I did the Monday chore of bill paying and bank book reconciling.  Harold and I are both paper challenged.  I have instituted a new system because I was totally messed up on the bill paying.  Some didn't get paid, and some got paid twice.  Harold is not on board yet, but he will be  - I say this with more optimism than I actually feel
.   
I did some more incremental straightening in the basement workroom and made a batch of candles while I was down there.   I am growing to LOVE this scent.



I also made a week's worth of lowcarb burrito casserole.  After lunch dishes, I headed for my quilt room.  I gave myself a break from stocking making in January, but I am now back at it.  So I am on that schedule again.  Got my stocking quota done for the day and then decided to layer the quilt I finished piecing last night.  This is the Frozen quilt that Maddie was asking about.    I am still on a learning curve with my quilting machine, but I pick up more confidence each time I use it.  I initially quilted the faces on the quilt, but then decided I didn't like the way it looked so I picked out all of the "face" stitches. No, Ana does not have a wart on her chin. I have a pin marking the spot where I need to secure the stitching I removed.



I also did a bit more work on the rug I've been making.  It's good for my hands which are feeling the pains of arthritis.


Now I am heading off to bed because tomorrow is a Ben day.

No comments: