God Bless Our Troops

Thursday, October 23, 2008

Today is a carb up day which means I have 2 starches or sweets with the last 2 meals.
No workout today, maybe later tonight in front of the TV. I have way too much work to do. I took today off as a mental health day because I am so backed up I need the day to catch up and not go crazy.

Word of the day:
Thursday of the Twenty-ninth Week in Ordinary Time
Gospel

Lk 12:49-53
Jesus said to his disciples:
“I have come to set the earth on fire,
and how I wish it were already blazing!
There is a baptism with which I must be baptized,
and how great is my anguish until it is accomplished!
Do you think that I have come to establish peace on the earth?
No, I tell you, but rather division.
From now on a household of five will be divided,
three against two and two against three;
a father will be divided against his son
and a son against his father,
a mother against her daughter
and a daughter against her mother,
a mother-in-law against her daughter-in-law
and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law.”

Thoughts from the cornfield:
With all real change comes pain - even when change is for the good. In essence, change is death to old ways and birth to new. Eight years ago I quit smoking. This was certainly a change for the good, but even though I knew how bad smoking was for me and the people around me, it was still a death of sorts. It was a a good 3 years or so before I quit mourning the loss of that life quenching addiction. I saw myself as a smoker who didn't smoke. The catalyst for the change came with my quitting, but the change itself didn't truly reach fulfillment until 3 years later - it was an evolutionary process. The story is the same with all of those things in our lives that we must change. There is pain involved - but the greater joy awaits. This is Jesus' message.


God bless our troops!

No comments: