God Bless Our Troops

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - Week 2 day 2.

Today is a carb down day. That means I get one starch that must be eaten before 3 pm. This morning it will be oatmeal. Oatmeal with peanut butter is just the best. I should explain that I am re-doing week 2 because I messed it up last week. A beloved daughter of mine (hi Neen Bean) pointed out that I have a habit of starting things and then not following through. I did say at the beginning that I was going to give this 8 weeks. But in usual "me" fashion I started tweaking the plan in week 2. I've shifted days so that my carb up day is on Sunday.

Yesterday I forgot to take my weights out on the road with me so I didn't get the weight training in. But considering the mood I was in yesterday morning, I did well to even get the walk in. It is pouring outside so I will be using the treadmill this morning and watching last week's "Loser" which taped very poorly.

I made some peppermint candles last night. They smelled wonderful as I was pouring, but the tester that I burned was disappointing. I don't know if it's the wick, or that fact that I used part essential oil along with the fragrance oil. I have the tester on a candle warmer right now to see if it smells truer to the fragrance.

Daily stats:
Type:walk/jog (went outside after all - it quit raining)
Route: Deadend/back/east edge of the maple woods/back

Time: 30
Average heart rate: 120
Max heart rate: 138
Up 1.2
from last Tuesday

I saw a whitetail this morning. I love it when I see deer. He came out of the maple woods, headed across the road into the ditch, caught wind of me and bounded back across the road and into the woods.

When I got back I the tester candle on the warmer smelled nice and minty. I'm guessing it is the combination of the wick and flame that is altering the scent. I guess I'll have to try a batch with straight peppermint FO rather than using part EO.


Word of the Day:
Tuesday of the Twenty-eighth Week in Ordinary Time
Today the Church celebrates : St. Callistus I
Lk 11:37-41
After Jesus had spoken,
a Pharisee invited him to dine at his home.
He entered and reclined at table to eat.
The Pharisee was amazed to see
that he did not observe the prescribed washing before the meal.
The Lord said to him, “Oh you Pharisees!
Although you cleanse the outside of the cup and the dish,
inside you are filled with plunder and evil.
You fools!
Did not the maker of the outside also make the inside?
But as to what is within, give alms,
and behold, everything will be clean for you.”

Thoughts from the cornfield:
In order to live civilly, each culture has its own set of laws. Ideally, laws give us boundaries on our behavior so that we can live in peace with our neighbors. The Pharisees used Mosaic law to browbeat the poor. Yet, never did the Pharisees do anything practical to help them.

I find it interesting that this particular Pharisee invited Jesus to his home. One can only wonder what the motivation was. This is another instance in which Jesus points out hypocrisy. Here he doesn't bother with parables. He tells them outright what they are. And still they don't get it.



God bless the troops!

No comments: