God Bless Our Troops

Sunday, July 24, 2011

I think the heat wave is finally on its way out the door. Hopefully it will take the humidity with it. I made a batch of a new soap in honor of Aggie.  It's a plain Lard & Lye bar - the same kind of soap Aggie would have used when she was raising her brood of 12.   I was looking for some vintage pics of Aggie with the kids. Gordon and Nancy stopped by on Thursday night and provided me with this.  Anna sharpened it and designed the label.  I am really happy with how it turned out.  It is listed on the website along with a brief synopsis of Aggie's life and her amazing strength of spirit.  This picture must have been taken in the late 40s because Harold looks to be about 1 or 2 here and he was born in 1946.  He's a little hard to see, but Agnes is holding him.

We had a gathering at Judy's house on Friday and we gave all the siblings a bar.  This label is a little different than what was on those bars.  I like this one a lot better.  In this picture are Agnes, Betty, Jane, Joan, Irene, and Harold - the first five of the 12 she would eventually have. In fact, Agnes was most likely expecting again when this picture was taken.

One of the other pictures Gordon had with him was of the old Allen country school that used to be down the road.  All of the kids except Marie and Howard went there.  I was sad when it was torn down.  I hate to see historic buildings disappear.  I'm really glad that someone took this picture!  When I run, I go by the spot where this school used to stand. 


I made some bath fizzies tonight.  We'll see how they do through the night.  It wasn't a great day to do them because of the humidity.  I also made another batch of the new soap.  I have to do a couple more batches of goat milk soap because I have some goat milk I need to use up.


Word of the day:
Seventeenth Sunday in Ordinary Time
Saint(s) of the day : St. Sharbel Makhluf, Priest (1828-1898), Saint Christina, Virgin and Martyr († c. 300)
Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint Matthew 13:44-52.


The kingdom of heaven is like a treasure buried in a field, which a person finds and hides again, and out of joy goes and sells all that he has and buys that field.
Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant searching for fine pearls.
When he finds a pearl of great price, he goes and sells all that he has and buys it.
Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a net thrown into the sea, which collects fish of every kind.
When it is full they haul it ashore and sit down to put what is good into buckets. What is bad they throw away.
Thus it will be at the end of the age. The angels will go out and separate the wicked from the righteous
and throw them into the fiery furnace, where there will be wailing and grinding of teeth.
Do you understand all these things? They answered, "Yes."
And he replied, "Then every scribe who has been instructed in the kingdom of heaven is like the head of a household who brings from his storeroom both the new and the old."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love the pic of the old school. I'm like you, HATE when old buildings are torn down. Depressing when they are neglected but worse when they're gone.

Our heat wave broke a couple days ago but left horrendous humidity behind. Yesterday was the first nice day in a loooong time. I actually got a bunch of soap made. Hoping to get more done today. Guess I should get off the computer and go do that, huh? lol

~Deb