God Bless Our Troops

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Dontcha hate it when you oversleep? Or better yet, when you wake up on time, but then decide to catch a few more winks? I have weird dreams when I do that - and they're never good. They're the kind of dreams that stay with you for the day with that nagging feeling that all is not well. Even though you know it's a dream, you wonder where it came from and if there is something in your life that you are overlooking.

Anyway, my schedule for the day is off a little. My blog update will be a little late, but fear not - I will get my workout in. I will not get the dishes done before work. No fear, they'll be here when I get home.

There are some things in my morning routine that are non-negotiable; blogging is one and a scheduled workout is the other. Blogging keeps me grounded. It was my habit when running to pray the rosary on my warm-up. I still do that, although not all the time. Starting the morning with the reading of the gospel of the day has grounded me and has made a huge difference in my life. Praying the rosary is one of my favorite ways to pray, but of late I have found my mind wandering. When I blog, I have to pay attention to what I am doing.
*********************************************************
Last night I made the first batch of fudge of the season - plain chocolate. Harold is allowed to lick the beaters and the pan, but he has to give the fudge a rating. He gave it a 9. It would have been a 10 but I didn't leave enough in the pan for him to "properly" test it. A few years ago he tested a batch by sticking his fingers in it. Then he blamed it on the cat. (We have no cats.) Amazingly, the man survives. Tonight I will be making peanut butter fudge which I will hide because Harold (the cat) really likes that kind. I may leave a bit more in the pan for him, though, since he was a good boy and stayed out of last night's batch. But then again, there is the matter of that "9" rating. Hmmmmm, we will see.

Tonight is the season opener of Biggest Loser. The VCR is set! Ironically, I will be making fudge while it is on.

Well, I'm off to walk on this gorgeous September morning. Some things are definitely non-negotiable. Updates later.
******************************************************
My stats for today:
Type: Treadmill
Route: Custom 2
Time: 18
Average heart rate: 113
Maximum heart rate: 129
Calories burned: 130
Down 2.2 from last Tuesday

Well, I ended up on the treadmill because of the time crunch. It wasn't as long a workout as I would have liked, but I did it. More and more, I am finding that consistency is the more important factor in this whole thing. In the past I would have abandoned the workout in favor of something less important; and all because it would not be a perfect workout. Duh - any workout is better than no workout. It's all about momentum. Leslie Sansone (Walk Away the Pounds) says on one of her tapes, "the more you sit, the more you want to sit; the more you move, the more you want to move."

Oh, and I got my dishes done, too!
*********************************************************
Word of the day:
Memorial of Saint Cornelius, pope and martyr
Saint Cyprian, bishop and martyr
Gospel
Lk 7:11-17

Jesus journeyed to a city called Nain,
and his disciples and a large crowd accompanied him.
As he drew near to the gate of the city,
a man who had died was being carried out,
the only son of his mother, and she was a widow.
A large crowd from the city was with her.
When the Lord saw her,
he was moved with pity for her and said to her,
“Do not weep.”
He stepped forward and touched the coffin;
at this the bearers halted,
and he said, “Young man, I tell you, arise!”
The dead man sat up and began to speak,
and Jesus gave him to his mother.
Fear seized them all, and they glorified God, exclaiming,
“A great prophet has arisen in our midst,”
and “God has visited his people.”
This report about him spread through the whole of Judea
and in all the surrounding region.

Word of the day:
Today's reading recounts one of many intances of resuscitation that occur in the Scriptures, both Old Testament and New. The widow’s son raised by Elisha in 2 Kings 4:32-35, Jairus’ daughter in Luke 8, Lazarus in John 11 are also accounts of resuscitation. This does not mean that these people were not dead, they clearly were; Lazarus had been in the tomb 3 days. There occurs, however, only one resurrection and that is the resurrection of Jesus. Those who were resuscitated would die again. Man may resuscitate, but only God resurrects. Jesus lives and through him, even though we die, we will live again. Thanks be to God!


God bless the troops!

No comments: