God Bless Our Troops

Monday - December 1, 2008 - Baseline day

Snow day! Snow day! What shall I do with this great gift of bonus time? First of all, I will say a prayer for all who are out on the roads today. Here is my list of things I want to accomplish

Christmas Choir folders - mission accomplished
Laundry room - first 30 minute stint - taking out things that don't belong
Finish Christmas stocking orders - 3 done
Pack up orders to mail
Clean kitchen
And today is laundry and bill day.

Today is a baseline day. I got way off track and am paying the price. Kitchen

No workout today, I put my back out somehow. If I had known that school was cancelled, I would have slept in. Apparently, school closings are not announced on the Saginaw station any more.

So, I am lighting candles (no shortage of those around). I am going to attack my chores in the Flylady way. I'll check back in with updates on my progress for those who are interested.

I also made my Advent candles yesterday. These were made from melting down an old Paschal Candle from church. I have never worked with such wonderful pillar wax. These practically fell out of the mold.










Word of the day
Monday of the First Week of Advent
Gospel
Mt 8:5-11

When Jesus entered Capernaum,
a centurion approached him and appealed to him, saying,
“Lord, my servant is lying at home paralyzed, suffering dreadfully.”
He said to him, “I will come and cure him.”
The centurion said in reply,
“Lord, I am not worthy to have you enter under my roof;
only say the word and my servant will be healed.
For I too am a man subject to authority,
with soldiers subject to me.
And I say to one, ‘Go,’ and he goes;
and to another, ‘Come here,’ and he comes;
and to my slave, ‘Do this,’ and he does it.”
When Jesus heard this, he was amazed and said to those following him,
“Amen, I say to you, in no one in Israel have I found such faith.
I say to you, many will come from the east and the west,
and will recline with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob
at the banquet in the Kingdom of heaven.”

Thoughts from the cornfield:
Catholics will recognize in this passage, the source of the short prayer which we say before receiving the Eucharist. "Lord, I am not worthy to receive you, but only say the word and I shall be healed."

The late Bishop of Saginaw, Bishop Kenneth Untener, was a frequent guest on a local radio station based out of Saginaw. His dear friend, Art Lewis, once asked him what he thought heaven would be like. Bishop Untener answered, "I know one thing - I will be surprised." Indeed, we will be surprised at who we find in heaven - although Jesus has told us to expect the most unlikely people to be there, we are still in for many surprises. We may be even more surprised at who we don't find there. Lord, I want to be in that number.

God bless our troops!

No comments: