God Bless Our Troops

The end of a Pandemic and the beginning of a new addiction.

 Wednesday, January 12, 2022




2022!  Can you believe it?  That last time I posted in here we were making masks due to the pandemic.  Now it seems to be ruling the world.  I say "seems" because we know who really rules the world.  


So much has changed in the last 2 years.  2021 brought me to a battle with breast cancer which, by the grace of God and many wonderful people, I beat. 


This time two years ago, I was manning the Vintage Village shop in downtown Shepherd on Thursdays.  It closed last year and we have moved our location to the east side of town in the Antiques and Uniques Marketplace.  


Things got really crazy in March of 2020 with the pandemic.  Then followed the death of my cousin David, my Aunt Betty, my cancer diagnosis, the death of my brother Bob, and the death of my Aunt Molly.  I can't think of a single person who has not suffered the death of someone close to them since the start of the pandemic. 


But there have been blessings, as hard as that is to believe.  Family is what got me through the last couple of years.  Thankfully they are all fairly close by.  I know many people who are not as blessed. 

********

Currently I have been experimenting with beeswax candles for a variety of reasons.  Initially, I was interested in the spiritual reasons behind the use of beeswax because it is used in our church candles, but in my research I am learning that:

  • Beeswax candles burn clean.
  • Beeswax candles emit negative ions. (that's a good thing)
  • Beeswax candles pull toxins from the air and purify it. 
  • Beeswax candles burn 2-5 time longer than candles made from other waxes which offsets the higher cost of the finished candle.
  • Beeswax candles are dripless
  • Beeswax candles burn brighter than candles made from other waxes. 
  • Beeswax blooms with age so that older candles burn even more brightly. 
  • Beeswax candles have benefits for those with asthma and allergies which can be aggravated by candles made with paraffin.

Beeswax comes in either white or yellow.  The candles pictured here are made with the white form.  I ordered a small amount to experiment with, but from what I have read, the yellow is more desirable and a bit more aromatic.  I just got in a shipment of yellow and I can't wait to try it.  I am also planning to transition to getting beeswax locally since I am all about supporting local family businesses.  To that end, I spoke to Ron Rhynard from Rhynard's Blueberry Farm about getting beeswax from him.  I will be testing a small amount next week.  


I am currently testing burn times on several sizes and I am very excited about what I am learning.  The votive candle in the holder burned for 16 hours.  The candles aren't scented but this batch of wax gives off a subtle honey aroma.








No comments: